Ernest Hemingway famously said, “The only kind of writing is rewriting.”
Elmore Leonard said, “If it sounds like writing, rewrite it.”
And, most succinctly, William Faulkner said, “Kill Your Darlings.”
It’s a fact that rewriting your screenplay or television pilot is an absolutely essential part of the successful process of perfecting story, character, structure, tone and theme. It’s from that reality that The Finish Line Script Competition was created.
The Finish Line redefines the screenwriting competition, embracing the rewrite as an essential component in any successful screenplay, and incentivizing every entrant to dig deeper, find their best draft, and win. With the guidance of a seasoned script consultant, you can work on your rewrites AFTER submitting your script to the competition and then, after reviewing their notes, RESUBMIT your script to us, having improved your draft and thus bettering your chances to WIN!
Our screenplay consultants will provide comprehensive development notes (5-6 pages) on your screenplay or pilot, for as many drafts as you choose, focusing on the fact that the STORY and WRITER are KING. Just as with development execs at studios, production companies or networks, we will go through draft after draft with you to get your script into TIPTOP shape. With the Finish Line, winning is always within reach, perhaps only a draft away.
Following our process, everyone who enters The Finish Line Script Competition comes out a winner. One writer will win our amazing Grand Prize, while two others will receive First and Second Runners Up prizes. Everyone else who takes advantage of our consulting services will leave the competition with the insight to get them to the real victory—the consideration of managers, agents, producers and studio or network execs.
If your script is already in perfect shape, great! Submit it as is. We are looking for the best writer in the bunch. Enter the Finish Line Script Competition and come out a winner!
"Writers seem to forget that people in the industry are desperate for good material. it's a world that's so desperate for good writers. So, if you can build it, they'll be there. If you write something great, it'll get read and if it's really good, it'll start your career."
-Aline Brosh McKenna ("The Devil Wears Prada", "27 Dresses")
The Grand Prize
- The Grand Prize winner will receive $1500 as a cash prize.
- The Grand Prize winner will have their script sent to any actor, director, producer or studio of their choice. Anyone at all. We guarantee that person will receive your script for consideration but we cannot guarantee they will pursue it further. We want to help you get access and we will back the winner to that degree.
- The Grand Prize winner will either meet in person, Skype or speak via phone to up to 21 industry professionals ranging from literary managers, agents, development execs and producers. Please click on our mentors tab for full list or scroll to the bottom of this page.
- The Grand Prize winner will receive free consultation from our script consultants for a year.
- The Grand Prize winner will receive $100.00 to spend at The Writer’s Store online.
- The Grand Prize winner will receive a year long membership to ISA’s CONNECT, which links them to networking opportunities, industry information and screenwriting jobs around the world.
- The Grand Prize winner will have free and complete access to our knowledge, advice, support and help as they get their script out into the maze that is the entertainment industry.
- And…..as a cherry on top, as we’re all living in a world that needs as much love as possible, a percentage of the earnings from the competition will be donated to the winner’s favorite charity.
The First Runner Up
- The First Runner Up will receive free consultation from our script consultants for a year.
- The First Runner Up will receive $75.00 to spend at The Writer’s Store online.
- The First Runner Up will receive a year long membership to ISA’s CONNECT, which links them to networking opportunities, industry information and screenwriting jobs around the world.
The Second Runner Up
- The Second Runner Up will receive $50.00 to spend at The Writer's Store online.
- The Second Runner Up will receive a year long membership to ISA’s CONNECT, which links them to networking opportunities, industry information and screenwriting jobs around the world.
Can you really guarantee that you can get a script to anyone in Hollywood?
Yes. We have a massive amount of experience and contacts throughout the entertainment industry and will make sure that whomever the writer chooses to receive the screenplay or pilot will receive it. This is guaranteed. Winners will receive confirmation of receipt through email.
Karen Barna, SVP Business & Legal Affairs, Bold Films. Previously at Summit Entertainment. Worked on SHOT CALLER, TWILIGHT franchise, RED franchise, and NOW YOU SEE ME among others. Screenwriter, STEP UP 2 and Writer on THE MOUNTAIN on the WB.
Evan Corday, Literary Manager, Partner, Cartel Entertainment. Previously, Literary Manager at Evolution Entertainment.
Paul Cotter, Writer/Director of BOMBER (winner of 12 Best Director prizes) and Writer/Director of short films including the award-winning, DIE BERLINER MAUER. Has directed UK television such as VERA and SHAMELESS.
Elizabeth Dench, Literary Agent, C0-Owner Dench/Arnold - London.
Jim Donnelly, SVP Comedy Development, Universal Television. Previously, VP Comedy Development CBS Studios.
Neal Edelstein, Producer of THE RING, MULHOLLAND DRIVE, THE INVISIBLE. Director & Creator of HAUNTING MELISSA and DARK HEARTS.
Bryan Goluboff, Currently Writer/Producer on Showtime's THE AFFAIR. Previous Writer/Producer duties include FX’s drama series LIGHTS OUT as well as on LAW AND ORDER: SVU, SMASH and BLUE BLOODS. Writer of THE BASKETBALL DIARIES starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
Korin Huggins, Head of TV, Will Packer Productions. Previously, Director of Drama Development at Warner Bros. Television Studios.
Damani Johnson, Co-Producer on MAJOR CRIMES. Previously staff writer on UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS and PRISON BREAK.
Brad Kaplan, Sr. Literary Manager/Producer, Primary Wave. Previously, Literary Manager/Producer, Evolution Entertainment.
Isaac Katz, Development Exec, Tribeca Prods.
Sam Lavender, Senior Creative Executive, Film 4. Developed/Executive Produced 45 YEARS, 12 YEARS A SLAVE, THE LOBSTER, WUTHERING HEIGHTS, HIGH RISE, SLUMDOG MLILIONAIRE, among others.
Jack Leslie, President of Production, The Donner's Company. Produced all X-MEN movies and DEADPOOL
Cathryn Michon, Screenwriter of the upcoming Dreamworks film A DOG'S PURPOSE and the Temple Hill/Fox 2000 film THE DOGS OF CHRISTMAS. An alumnae of The Second City, she stars in the upcoming film COOK OFF! with Melissa McCarthy and directed, wrote and stars in MUFFIN TOP: A LOVE STORY.
Melissa Orton, Literary Agent, ICM Partners.
Sean Robins, Sean Robins has been at Broken Road since its inception and has been a partner for the last eight years. Robins has helped steer Broken Road’s slate including films such as PAUL BLART: MALL COP and PAUL BLART: MALL COP 2, KNIGHT AND DAY, ZOOKEEPER, HERE COMES THE BOOM, SORCERER’S APPRENTICE, JACK AND JILL, INTO THE STORM, THE SCOUTS GUIDE TO THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE and the forthcoming TRUE MEMOIRS OF AN INTERNATIONAL ASSASSIN amongst others. On the television side, Broken Road produced MTV’s cooking show SNACKOFF and has recently sold eight new projects.
Ryan Saul, Literary Agent, Head of Feature Animation at APA.
Sidney Sherman, Literary Manager/Producer and Founder/CEO of Rosa Entertainment, an independent film/television production and management company.
Mr. X, Literary Manager/Producer. Former Agent at The Gersh Agency.
Mentors subject to change.
Finish Line Script Competition proudly accepts entries via FilmFreeway.com, the world's best online submission platform.
Follow us on Twitter